Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Winter (Rainy) Wonderland...

Hola everyone!

Wow!  I can't believe that we're already 7 days into December.  It's also weird to think that Mitchell is coming home next Thursday and that he's already finishing up his mission.  But, I guess that is what happens after two years and I hope he has a good homecoming to his family.  Also, it sounds like all the family is doing well and staying pretty busy with the Holidays.  Dad said that snow is planned for this week, and it's planned here for this week as well.  However, the planned snow here changes from snow to rain in the atmosphere, so need less to say I'll be planning on lots of rain the next couple of days.  But, it's all good.  It's been a while since it rained.

Well, my training continued this past week with Elder Morey.  He's learning a lot and is starting to get  the hang of how the office works.  He's not the fastest learner, but it's helping me learn a little more patience and we're both having a very fun time with being companions.  He's getting better at driving, so I'm not quite so stressed out anymore while he's behind the wheel, haha.  We've worked on getting the mail system down, church materials, and minutes.  We've just got to keep working on vehicles and cellphones and then I think he'll have it all down.  It's been interesting re-teaching something and trusting that someone else can do it as well as you.  I kind of feel like I did when I had to train new projectionists at Walkers.  But, it will all work out.

Last Sunday my companion and I had a really cool experience.  We had been contacting people all day and were on the verge of just throwing in the towel when we decided to talk to a big-buff guy and his friends about a t-shirt that they (and half of the neighborhood) were wearing.  He answered our question and then said, "Hey, I used to be one of you guys."  I was taken back.  "You mean Mormon?" He responded again, "Yeah I was Mormon 'I will go and do the things which the lord hath commanded for I know that the lord giveth no commandment unto the children save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he had commanded him'.  Yeah I know a lot about you guys."  My companion and I were completely speechless.  We talked to him a little bit more and turns out he was one of the first baptisms in Santiago.  He joined the church at 14, served a mini mission, was the head of the young men, and was a stake missionary.  We couldn't believe this guy!  Then, he told us what happened: He joined the military about 15 and they completed brain-washed how the thought and it was impossible to stay active.  Good news is that he's left the military and was willing to have us pass by another day.  We put a date and left the man to talking with his friends.  It was really cool that we randomly walked into it!  I definitely feel like the spirit intervened on that one.

So, Thursday night was our follow up visit with that buff guy named Edward.  He was there waiting for us and happy to let us into his home.  We visited, got to know him, and listened to his story.  He told us that he still feels the church is true, but needs a lot of help to change is mind-set from Military form.  I'm really excited though, because he is excited to come back, read his scriptures and attend church.  He even said, "I'm 100% positive in making it to church on Sunday."  I'm hoping that he comes and can starting receiving the gospel blessings in his life again!  These moments make me LOVE missionary work when I find people who are ready and prepared by the lord for me to find and help out!  I hope that this man can repent, come back, and be a leader in the church again.

Well, I know that this church is true and that God allows us to answer people's prayers.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary and help the Dominican people find the gospel of Jesus Christ!  He lives and he wants us to be happy!  The gospel truly blesses families and helps us become eternal families.  En el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen.

Have a great week everyone!  Enjoy all the cold!!

Love,
Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment